There Are Angels

There Are Angels
Colored Pencil Drawing

Friday, February 22, 2013

Galaxy Quilt in progress

Imagine this quilt top quilted with sparkly, holographic thread, bound in red. That's the intent of the finished project. It will be, I hope, about 72" square, it contains mariners compasses, flying geese elements, other round stars and half mariners compass blocks. This is one of those projects where I first drew up the idea then proceeded to develop it as a quilt. The flying geese elements are paper pieced since they're curved in nature. I wrecked a needle sewing them together. I used strips of the paper teachers use to cover bulletin boards to draw out the geese, then taped the strips together to make the long portions. I also learned that this paper, found at school supply stores, can be pressed with an iron to make it lie flat. It comes in a roll making it difficult to draw on and/or sew on.
This is the type of project I like to do, one that's different and challenging. I don't know why I'm drawn to these challenging designs. I suppose I have to prove to myself that I can do them. Stay tuned for progress notes.

1 comment: